Re: [TowerTalk] tower specs/not wind loads

To: Steve@bnjcomp.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower specs/not wind loads
From: N0OEL@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:39:05 EST
Many of the towers made today are designed to sway and you dont want to guy
them such as the popular line of Universal Aluminum  towers.     The steel
towers are built to be self supporting  to a certain height as described by
their
engineering specs.     The same with the Aluminum towers and you should pay
big attention to their  specs.   The 40 foot Rohn 25G
wont hold a lot when self supporting.    In fact  outside of a small beam
forget it without a set of guys!

Rohn will tell you the size tower they advise and if its 25 G pay attn to
the need for guys.    If its HDBX dont try to guy it as its  designed to sway

 Towers all vary as to max height and  that height should depend greatly not
on what you want but as to the antennas to  be put on them and that antenna's
windload.    Antennas should be  a certain height above ground depending on
what bands you intend to  work.    I personally think that the good DX starts
at
50 feet  with the average triband beam.    Dont try to impress the
neighborhood with big towers but build what is necessary and safe.    BTW the
56 foot
HDBX Rohn is small in
windload capacity and safer if you build it to just 48 feet!

Pay big attention to windload and the specs of the beam and the tower  before
you determine height of your tower.    My triband Higain  is at 50 feet
selfsupported aluminum with a 26 inch base.    I have 5.5 sq feet of concrete
holding it up.    And it  works great. And yes, it does have some sway as much
as 6
inches as it is is  designed.

Good luck!

73