Re: [TowerTalk] tower specs/not wind loads

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower specs/not wind loads
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:52:45 EST

In a message dated 1/24/2006 1:17:06 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

On 1/23/06, Steve Shelton <Steve@bnjcomp.com> wrote:
> Hi,  I am fairly new to towers and I have tried to research information
> on  rohn's 25, 45 and 55 towers.  I have found quite a bit of  information
> on these towers but not the exact answers that I am  looking.  One of my
> questions is what is the maximum safe height  on these three towers
> without guying?  How much weight can they  handle guyed or unguyed? The
> reason I ask is that I do a lot of tower  climbing and often run into a
> rohn 25 that is not guyed.  Most  are only 40' but some as high as 80'
> and without guy wires these  towers do a lot of swaying.  I would feel
> more comfortable on  these particular towers if I knew for sure that an
> extra 200lbs  harnessed to the side of this tower is not going to be the
> stick that  broke that camels back.  Thank you for any information that
> you  have.

I've been following this thread and most of the  answers you got were either
flat wrong or based on some anecdotal info that  clearly exceeds the
manufacturer's specs. And the examples you cited above are  downright
DANGEROUS.
What're you NUTS or something for climbing them?!?

    There is a pamphlet and the info is also in the  Rohn catalog. For the
most part, you can go 14 feet above a housebracket but  freestanding specs
depend on the load and the windspeed.

    You can get a Rohn catalog on CD - a highly  recommended addition to your
tower library - from _www.rohnnet.com_ (http://www.rohnnet.com) .  They'll
send it to  you for free.

    The same info is on the website and you can look  it up.

    The bottom line is that freestanding Rohn 25g,  etc. are rated a LOT LESS
than you think. And ALWAYS follow the LXC Prime  Directive to "DO what the
manufacturer says".

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -