[TowerTalk] Hilti and Erico Products driving ground rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hilti and Erico Products driving ground rods
From: "Kimo Chun" <kimo@lava.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:32:11 -1000
I own an older Hilti TP800 medium duty demolition hammer
(not rotary). The model has since been replaced. I did
purchase an 8" long bit with a "socket" end to fit over
a 3/4" ground rod. I don't recall precisely but a figure
in the $40 to $50 range comes to mind. This was a few
years ago. Obviously, unless you can rent or borrow a
Hilti or plan on putting in a lot of rods I'm sure you
can find a better use for something like $1K.

Come to think of it... anybody want to buy the bit?
My hammer died breaking up the above-ground concrete of
an LM tower base. Not worth fixing. Assuming the bit
style hasn't changed... you might find a newer Hilti to
borrow or rent (or purchase).

Also, Erico Products (who make the CadWeld brand of
exothermic welding equipment) also sold different sizes
of machine tool steel driving "bits" that you place over
the rod and pound in with a hammer. Thus, preventing
serious 'mushrooming' of the rod head. I have those as
well. I bought them and the CadWelding stuff from the
local GE Supply electrical house.

As others have stated here. I'm sure there are other
equivalents out there from other manufacturers.

73

Kimo Chun, KH7U
kh7u@arrl.net

*****