Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum mast

To: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum mast
From: "Bruce Ferratt" <uglyatc@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:18:20 -0500
Wind load is 40/12 or 3.3 square feet.
This was calculated by Jim Lux 'Doc'.
Thank you.
Bruce
K4BOF

Check this out:

-mast is 1 1/4" OD.   It is solid, round.

So, you can apply a bit of simple mechanics..
bending stress is =Moment/section modulus

Section modulus for a solid rod is pi/32 * D^3 or 0.19 inch^3 for your rod.

Yield for 6061 aluminum is probably around 40,000 psi, so rearranging a bit:

40,000 lb/in^2* 0.19in^3 = 7700 in lb.

You've got 8 ft (96 inches) sticking out, so 7700/96 = 80 pounds.

One generally likes to leave a reasonable safety factor to allow for
imperfections in the material, etc.  Maybe, a factor of 2 would be
reasonable here?  So, your at 40 pounds load at the end of the mast.

I believe you said 70 mi/hr.  For air drag, load (lb/ft^2) = V(mph)^2/391..
12 pounds/square foot.

So, you get a total windload area of 40/12 or about 3.3 square
feet.  (don't forget to allow for the half square foot or so for the
mast).  Doesn't look like you're going to be putting up a full size 80m
yagi on this<grin>.