Re: [TowerTalk] Soil testing

To: "Ronald, Douglas S" <douglas.s.ronald@lmco.com>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Soil testing
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:22:36 -0800
At 12:59 PM 3/29/2006, Ronald, Douglas S wrote:
>Tower talkers,
>
>Before I hire a soils engineer and drag him out to a remote location, I
>was wondering if there were some subjective tests I could do on my own
>to ascertain my soil strength.
>
>I'm putting up an 80' tower with 4 guys all of which need reinforced
>concrete foundations. I plan on contracting with a local bulldozer owner
>to flatten an area of 230' x 115' +- 3 inches with compaction to 95% in
>the fill areas. Since I probably won't be there when the work is done, I
>would like to check the quality of the compaction. The antenna uses 4000
>PSI soil for its specifications. I am hoping there is a probe or
>something I could pound into the prospective areas to see if the
>compaction is even close to the 4000 spec.

You might want to look at this for ideas:
http://geotech.uta.edu/lab/Main/Soil%20Lab/09_UCS/UCS.pdf

here's some data from CalTrans on field testing of soil for trenching and
shoring:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/construction/Manuals/TrenchingandShoring/appendix_B.pdf

In particular, you might want to look at the cone penetration and standard
penetration test.  The latter consists of driving a 1.4 inch ID, 2" OD
sampler 18 inches into the bottom of a bore hole using a 140(?) hammer
dropped 30 inches.  The number of blows required to drive the sampler the
last 12 inches is the measurement.

Here's how they do the test in the lab:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/ctms/ctmsindex200.html

Although many of the procedures just say: do the test in accordance with
ASTM D xxx

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/ctms/CT_221.pdf