Re: [TowerTalk] Best tower for salt environment

To: kjones@virtualcohesion.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best tower for salt environment
From: HFDXJUNKIE@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 23:58:34 EDT
Hollow tube towers of any kind can and always will have a problem of
possibly rusting from the inside out. Pyrod solid leg tower seems like an
expensive
choice but a good one around salt water. Those bolt together flat iron
type..Titan or Trylon? might be a good choice too..solid flat and L shaped
solid
bracing and legs. I think the more heavy duty type SSV towers and the like too
are not thin enough to worry about rust weakening problems. I am no engineer,
but have plenty of common sense and mechanical know how. I own 2 crank
ups,,,,  if the cables ever snap..oh well, I won't be on it. You can't buy a
new
life can  you? Not that this previous recent accident had to do with rusty
sections  but makes you kinda think how sad it must have been to be this guys
Dad
who  watched that whole mess unfold. The more bad things I read, the happier I
am not  having to climb past 25 ft or so, after the tower sections are blocked
up on  4x4's that is. Crank ups are much easier and safer to visually check
them than  guyed tower.

           Good luck with  your project, Pete NA2P