Re: [TowerTalk] Best tower for salt environment

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best tower for salt environment
From: Kent Tiburski <k6fq@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 10:28:36 -0700 (PDT)
All,

  Been reading this thread for days now.  I live in a
salt air/water environment, unlike some of the folks
who have posted here.  I have Rohn 25 up, it works
just fine and has not rusted.  I have two crank-up
towers, still horizontal, but nonetheless still in the
same corrosive environment and the cables are really
rusty. Periodic PMS with grease will take care of
that, which is what I should have done, now I'll have
to clean it up before installation.  The cranking
mechanism for the cable is rusted, paint and grease
again will stave off the rust if applied periodically.
 Good stainless steel should be used in your
installation as the cheap stuff does rust.  My secret
is paint.  I use the cheapest metal primer, usually
has zinc in it, for rust spots (when found) and on all
of my AL antennas.  When painting antennas, be sure to
mask off insulators or parts that need to be mated
together and use some conductive grease here too.

  The guy wires used for Rohn towers can be painted or
greased, your prerogative or perhaps find some zinc
coated stuff.  Also the bolts used to put the tower
sections together should be zinc coated.  I bought
these at the local Home Depot and after years they
haven't shown any signs rust, etc.

  GL!

73, Kent, K6FQ