Re: [TowerTalk] [WISPA FCC] OT??? High power 2.4 GHz rules change

To: "'John Scrivner'" <john@scrivner.com>,"'FCC Discussion'" <fcc@wispa.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [WISPA FCC] OT??? High power 2.4 GHz rules change
From: "Dan Hammill" <kb5my@starband.net>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 23:43:39 -0700
John,

Thank you for your sentiments towards hams.

As far as I am aware, there is no requirement for hams to use APC on 2.3 &
2.4 GHz.  As an EME (moonbounce) enthusiast who plans to be on 2.3 GHz
someday, Part 97 allows me to use the minimum power necessary to establish
reliable communications (and on shared bands, as restricted by reduced any
limits imposed by the top primary user of the band - typically the
government or military).  If the EME path is degraded to the point that
whatever combinations of TX/RX systems the other station and I may be using
demands a licensed-user legal-limit signal to the antenna feed on my end to
establish a viable connection, then that is the power I would run -
regardless of whether the link is CW, SSB, FM, TV, or digital.  The only
"automatic" control will be the connections linking my ears, eyes,
wattmeter, and RF power knob on the IF radio.  I don't know what you know of
the round-trip EME path, but one would need a rather large dish antenna to
work EME within Part 15 power limits (as in NASA Deep Space Network size).
If you raise unlicensed power levels, the noise floor raises and EME becomes
virtually impossible.  Conversely, if I run legal limit into my 24-foot
dish, aim at the moon on the horizon, and some unlicensed ISP happens to lie
in-between, I guarantee that the ISP will lose, regardless of how much power
he/she may be running.

You also seem to have missed that 2.4 GHz contains an Amateur Satellite
segment.  If you raise unlicensed power levels, any satellite downlinks at
2.4 GHz become degraded due to increased noise floor.

Part 15 devices, by their unlicensed nature, MUST accept interference from
licensed users, and MUST NOT cause interference to licensed users.  To
expect Primary LICENSED users of a frequency band to just roll over and
allow their status to be reduced to that of unlicensed users, with all of
the attendant restrictions, just because the current unlicensed users want
it that way is simply ludicrous.  The ONLY reason you're on 2.4 GHz in the
first place is because of your unlicensed status.  Consequently, you should
expect to be restricted in your operations so that the licensed users will
be able to conduct their normal activities.

Dan  KB5MY