Re: [TowerTalk] KT34A and no tower

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>,"Scott Stembaugh" <radio.n9ljx@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] KT34A and no tower
From: "W3TX" <superberthaguy@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 23:24:45 -0400
Scott,

Pardon me for being blunt. But safety must come first...Your plan is unsafe!
Our reflector members just all read this week about a very experienced tower
climber/Dxer becoming an SK due to poor planning/unanticipated problems on
the tower. Our collective hope is to never read about a tower tragedy ever
again.

A "mast" as you describe is totally inappropriate for a KT34A (it is a big
antenna). A HD73 rotor is inappropriate to turn a KT34A IMHO.

What you are planning is a massive risk.  Do not do it. Stop.

I believe that other members of this reflector will agree with me!

It is time to step back and consult some antenna support structure
professionals.  Project planning is very important (and should take months)
including staying away from power lines, having a properly rated support
structure, getting the proper township permits, hiring a professional
installer since you are not experienced, and more. Don't forget about
lightning protection!

Best regards,
Scott W3TX