Re: [TowerTalk] KT34A and no tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] KT34A and no tower
From: "Scott Stembaugh" <radio.n9ljx@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 07:25:21 -0400
Ok Folks, Thanks for the reality check.  I didn't particularly care
for the idea I was purposeing but was hoping for at least one "yeah
you'll be ok if you just do....."  Instead I was inundated, quite
quickly I might add, with "DONT BE STUPID!!!".  As anxious as I am to
get a decent antenna in the air (16 years of wires) I can wait until I
can do it right.  At least I will have the antenna.  Just need to find
a tower to put it on.  And I want it to fly before the 06-07
contesting season starts.  I really want to start doing more than just
working the loud ones!

In the "just so you don't think I am a complete idiot" catagory; The
20' of pole is 2x10' sections of 2"id thick walled steel pipe.  The 6'
peice is 1.5" steel.  I know the HD73 is a smallish rotor but by
reading the specs I thought I would be fine.  It specs out at 10 sqft
windload and the KT34A specs at 6 sqft.  The height above the rotor
had me concerned as well, for good reason I see.  Power lines and
other structures are 70' away.

Thanks and vy 73,
--scott N9LJX

--