Re: [TowerTalk] Ground resistance

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground resistance
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 22:49:48 -0700
On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 22:58:04 -0500, Gary Schafer wrote:

>> And remember that the nature of coax is to act as a common mode
>> choke at RF, so when you short the shield to ground, the center
>> conductor is pretty close to ground too. It isn't a PERFECT common
>> mode choke, so perhaps 1% of the lightning strike is present
>> between the center conductor and ground. So if the lightning is 50
>> kV, the center conductor might be 500 v above the shield. Enough
>> to blow something connected, but probably not to arc across the
>> switch.

>Unfortunately the center conductor is not at or near shield potential
>because of propagation qualities of the coax. Lightning energy will
>propagate on the coax like any other signal.

Huh?

>Also even if the center conductor is shorted to the shield at the antenna
>with a grounded type antenna feed the lightning energy will still find its
>way to the center conductor from the energy that is carried by the outer
>shield.

I suggest you study Ott's discussion on the nature of the field inside a
circular shield.

>This happens because of "transfer impedance".

Huh?

>At low frequencies, of
>which includes a large part of lightning, the skin effect that normally
>keeps energy on the outside of a cable from penetrating the shield falls
>apart and allows current on the inside of the shield.

For any coax that your or I would use on a transmitting antenna, this
happens BELOW a few kHz. Above that frequency, it's a common mode choke with
a coupling coeffient nearly equal to unity. There is SOME energy in
lightning below that transition frequency, but a tiny fraction of what is at
much higher frequencies. Again, see Ott.

>This is why it is as important to protect the center conductor as it is
>the shield.

You misread my post. I simply observed that if no equipment is connected to
an coaxially fed antenna, the ANTENNA would be pretty well grounded from a
lightning protection point of view if the shield was grounded. The function
of the arrestor like a Polyphaser is to protect radio EQUIPMENT connected to
the coax by shorting the center conductor to the shield.

Jim