Re: [TowerTalk] FS: Heavy Duty Climbing Belt

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FS: Heavy Duty Climbing Belt
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 18:17:25 -0400

> In a message dated 6/6/2006 9:03:02 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> towertalk-request@contesting.com writes:
>
>>>  Blake Bowers wrote:
>>> Just as a note, that belt is NOT OSHA approved  for
>>> climbing towers.  I realize you are not stating that  it
>>> is, but the web link that you have states that it  is.
>
>>   I didn't notice that!  I bought this years  ago, has
> OSHA changed the standards?

At the risk of incurring the wrath of many posters, I much prefer the old
Klien free floating belt to what is now recomended.  I have several reasons
for that. One was having worked in a hostile environment with chlorides and
silanes. One exposure could render the synthetic belts and harneses unsafe
and they do not like to be left out in ultraviolet light. Of course if they
are only out when in use the last really isn't a problem. Just don't throw
them in the back of the truck and forget them. OTOH I'd not want to do that
with my current belt either.

>        Oh, yes. Whenever you're  4-8' (I forgot the actual height) off the
> ground you need a fall arrest harness  with the D-ring between the
> shoulder
> blades so that if you fall, you're caught  by the fall arrest lanyard in a
> non-lethal position.
>
>        Also leather equipment is  illegal now also.

Given the choice I'd take that Klien free floating leather any day.  It's
comfortable and I don't have to worry about circulation in my legs on a long
climb like I do with the new harnesses.  I'd expect them to come out with
another new design to take care of the "sitting in the harness" problem

>        While OSHA rules only  require compliance by workers (people being
> paid for performing the tasks), it's  a pretty good idea to be as safe as
> you
> can.

I can only speak for myself and this is not a recomendation to others, not
should it be taken as such, but I much prefer the old belt with a seperate
fall arresting harness and want nothing to do with any harness that will let
me sit down in place.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com