Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Questions

To: "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Questions
From: "Rob" <VE6TR@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 19:32:05 -0600
Greetings,

Perhaps I am wrong, but the whole idea of wind load on a rotator seems to be a
misnomer.  The only time that spec
would be valid is for side load, not torque, and side load only counts if the
rotator is outside of the tower.  Wind load
will entirely depend on the antenna design and how uneven the wind area is on
either side of the mast which will
produce the torque.  If the antenna had 10 ft^2 on either side of the mast then
the torque is 0 yet the wind rating
would be 20 ft^2.  I know I am simplifying things but torque ratings should be
just that... measured in inch pounds or
the like.  If you want to compare rotators, then look for torque values, not
wind load.

My two cents....  73

Rob VE6TR