Re: [TowerTalk] Was Radials... 160m High angle vs. low angle

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Was Radials... 160m High angle vs. low angle
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 14:48:53 -0400
I cannot speak for the entire world, but here on the right coast of the
usa sometimes 160 signals do come in quite high at sunrise or sunset.
Not every day but it does happen.  Once in a while even on long haul dx
the inverted vee at 60 feet will beat the vertical...I have never seen
it other than during the grey line, but that does not mean it does not
happen.  I'd say vertical is better 95% of the time and the vee only
about 5% of the time.

My best memory example  is T32 a couple of years ago at my sunrise.  He
was S9 on the inverted vee for about 15 minutes.  I worked him easily on
the vee, switched to my club call and could not raise a peep out of him
on the vertical. You can indeed work dx on 160 with a low dipole.  You
will need lots and lots of persistence tho.  Kind of like doing qrpp on
20 with a normal antenna farm.  73 bob de w9ge