Re: [TowerTalk] CushCraft Query

To: Kent Tiburski <k6fq@sbcglobal.net>,Clay Curtiss W7CE <w7ce@curtiss.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CushCraft Query
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:04:06 -0700
At 10:16 AM 6/22/2006, Kent Tiburski wrote:
>Changing the DE might give a different feed impedance, but as far as the
>it changing the pattern , etc., it will still be the same.

I haven't actually tried it, and a well designed experiment beats pages of
theory, but theory says that changing the impedance of any element changes
the relative currents in the elements which changes the pattern.

The easy exception would be if the impedance change is due to some sort of
broadband untuned matching device between feedline and feedpoint, like a
transformer.

But if the matching device is reactive this would change the impedance that
the element is "looking into" and that would change the currents among the
elements too. Reactive matching networks are pretty common on single band
antennas, for example a LC network, whether lumped or distributed(like a
gamma match).  On a multiband antenna, who knows?

Jim..