Re: [TowerTalk] Gap Voyager Gotchas...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gap Voyager Gotchas...
From: "Kelly Jones" <kjones@virtualcohesion.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:10:05 -0600
Dave, see comments below...

> 1.  I tried adding more 'radials'.  Even tried 'elevated radials'.  No
luck on either, changed the resonant point.

Same here.  I even called GAP and asked for help.  While they tried to be
helpful, none of their suggestions worked in my situation.  I will give them
an A for effort, however.

> 2. The Antenna works OK on 160, GREAT on 80, good on 40 and OK on
20...your mileage may vary.

In my case it was basically a dummy load on all bands.  My little Butternut
HF6V ran circles around it on 40 & 80.  I still have the Butternut, the GAP
was peddled shortly after I bought it.  Again, YMMV.

> 3.  Make sure you install the top 160 meter plug in cap...it will not work
without it!

What I found out from GAP is that they have 2 caps.  Apparently they ship
the antenna with a cap that is tuned somewhere around 1850 or 1870.  My SWR
was pretty high at 1820.  They did send me the other cap to push the tuning
down the band.

> 4.  Use appropriate guy ropes.  My first Gap crashed because the guy ropes
frooze and it imploded the antenna.

Agreed!  In fact, I think I used 3 sets of 3 (@120 degrees) instead of the
2, or was it 4.  This thing is a WET NOODLE once you start to raise (or
lower) it.  All the weight from that coiled up coax in the top wiggles it
around like crazy.  You will want some help when you put it up.  On one
occasion when I lowered mine, it got away from us and "crashed" down on the
tophat.  Fortunately it happened to hit dead center of one of the aluminum
pieces.  It was only mildly bent.  Had it smashed in the middle it would
have been ugly.

GL
Kelly - N0VD