Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Question

To: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@pclink.com>,<N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Question
From: <sabrams@nycap.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 05:19:05 -0400
I have an A4S and several Th7DXX.  I have also used a TH5 at Field Day this
year and a local has had one up for years.  The A4S is a very good antenna
electrically--I am often surprised with its good performance,  but poor
mechanically.  The u-bolts to mount the elements to the boom go thru the
elements creating very weak points that have failed in heavy wind
conditions.  Also the center insulator on the driven element is a relatively
thin fiberglass tube which gets brittle from UV and is a point of failure.
When mine broke I replaced the tube with a solid rod that I bought from
McMaster Carr.  The TH7/Th5 is a much stronger antenna structurally and its
performance is comparable.  My TH7 antennas have been up for years with no
mechanical problems at all.  If I had to choose between the two, I would
choose the TH5 over the A4S.  GL 73  Saul K2XA