Re: [TowerTalk] Water tower omni

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Water tower omni
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 16:01:09 -0000
The 'rolling ball' theory of lightning protection is an ancient method that
said basically that you take a ball (in your mind of course) as tall as a
vertical object and roll it around the object and any area inside where the
ball rolls is safe from lightning... basically it is something like a 45
degree angle from the highest point down to the ground, also known as the
'cone of protection'.  this has been shown to be untrue many times,
photographic evidence of lightning hitting sides of buildings, near the base
of towers, the bottom wires on power lines, and many other spots that would
be 'safe' according to the rolling ball theory exist.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net