Re: [TowerTalk] Water tower omni

To: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Water tower omni
From: Nick Pair <daweezil2003@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 12:50:50 -0700 (PDT)
Gary,

  My assumption was that the coax shield had been grounded prior to conduit
which removes the voltage build up due to choke effect of conduit. Bonding at
each end of conduit would eliminate current choke effect of conduit.
  Standard practice is to bond shield at point of flexible to heliax connection
and again at bottom of tower where coax does a 90 degree turn. This usually
puts the conduit on the supply side of the bend, horizontally to the shack.This
makes a higher impedance on the branch than the bond drain to the grid and
controls the current flow.

  Nick
  WB7PEK

Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net> wrote:

> [...]

Running coax through metal conduit without grounding it at each end of the
conduit is asking for a large arc between the coax and conduit, not
recommended.

73
Gary K4FMX