Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding base slab and pier tower bases

To: "'K8RI on Tower talk'" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding base slab and pier tower bases
From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 08:12:46 -0700
Roger,

Five direct hits already this year?  That's amazing!  I've had exactly zero
hits since 1961.  Don't you get damage?  Can you tell the point the strike
hits?  My SD friend, K0TY, has no trouble.  I was there when one hit a few
years ago and it literally blew apart the antenna, apparently vaporizing
part of it (or blowing it so far away we couldn't find it).  However, I
don't think any of his electronics were ever damaged, or the tower or coax,
just the antennas where the strikes hit and "damage" is not an adequate word
to describe what happened to them.

I do recall hearing static discharging during storms when I lived in South
Dakota.  I think the device was called a Blitz Bug Lightning Arrestor or
something like that.  It would occasionally make a loud buzzing noise, which
I always assumed was static discharging from my antennas to ground.  This
was many years ago, mind you, and some things from those days are getting a
little fuzzy, but that's the way I remember it.  Still, never had a direct
strike as far as I know.

73 - JC, K0HPS