Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding base slab and pier tower bases

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding base slab and pier tower bases
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 13:21:37 -0400
Hi JC,

> Roger,
>
> Five direct hits already this year?  That's amazing!  I've had exactly
> zero

That's just this year.  The system was basically finished late in 2001. The
last climb was in temperatures of well below freezing and it was windy.  It
was so cold the electrical tape wouldn't stick to itself.

I was up there for between two and three hours.

So the tower has been up for 2002, 3, 4, 5, and this year.  The previous
years it has averaged about 3 hits a year so that's a minimum of 17 times
the tower has been hit.

> hits since 1961.  Don't you get damage?  Can you tell the point the strike

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm shows the entire antenna
system atop the tower.
Early on I had some damage, but I think it was more due to the ground
system, or rather lack of a single point ground.  I lost this computer which
I had just finished building (in a different incarnation than present) and a
couple of Polyphasors. Since then, with the exception of two Polyphasors
(always for the 440 array), and one N-type barrell connector to the SW 75
meter sloper, I've lost a couple of remote preamps for the TV antennas.  The
Polyphasors and N-connector would have been lightning, but I'm not so sure
the preamps didn't die from RF exposure.

With the price of copper I hesitate to say my ground system now consists of
33, 8' ground rods Cadwelded (TM) to over 600 feet of bare #2 which also
ties into the house system.

I've been running this machine while transfering large files across a Cat5e
gigabit network to the storage computer in the shop when the tower took a
hit. The lights went out, the UPSs squealed in protest, the lights came back
on and the file transfer resumed almost as if nothing had happened. (The
switch was not on a UPS)
The 135 feet of Cat5e runs within 10 feet of the base of the tower.  There
are 4 late model, high capacity computers tied together through a switch and
router.  Total storage is now over 5 Terabytes, but a good portion of that
is on external drives that don't run all the time.

BTW, I use CORDLESS keyboards and mice. <:-))

The "Old tower" which was up prior to the current one took one hit that
literally blew the tape and seal off all the connectors at the top of the
tower. At that time I used all 9913.  Within 15 minutes I had water running
out of one rig.  BTW, it not only removed all the tape and seal, it removed
all the plating as well, blew out the 7/8" Heliax about 20 feet down from
the top and shortened the repeater antenna by about a foot or so.  The
fiberglass sheath at the end of that big vertical looked like an exploded
cigar. I lost the front end out of a Kenwood 221 and as I recall that was
connected to one of the antennas on the old tower.

> hits?  My SD friend, K0TY, has no trouble.  I was there when one hit a few
> years ago and it literally blew apart the antenna, apparently vaporizing
> part of it (or blowing it so far away we couldn't find it).  However, I

When doing the occasional antenna maintenance I've noticed exposed
connectors look like they'be been exposed to a lot of corona. Either that or
a strong acid rain. <:-)) The Aluminum looks good except for that white
platina of age and there are a few small burn marks at various locations. So
far, nothing serious.
I am amazed at the number of hits the thing takes. OTOH I should put up a
photo of what the system looks like from a distance. From the town hall
about a half mile east you see the trees and then the antennas sticking way
up above them all by them selves.

> don't think any of his electronics were ever damaged, or the tower or
> coax,
> just the antennas where the strikes hit and "damage" is not an adequate
> word
> to describe what happened to them.
>
> I do recall hearing static discharging during storms when I lived in South
> Dakota.  I think the device was called a Blitz Bug Lightning Arrestor or

I used to have a number of those.  They are just a spark gap with two or
three extending toward the center conductor.

> something like that.  It would occasionally make a loud buzzing noise,
> which
> I always assumed was static discharging from my antennas to ground.  This
> was many years ago, mind you, and some things from those days are getting
> little fuzzy, but that's the way I remember it.  Still, never had a direct

A *lot* of things form those days are fuzzy except for my hairline which has
gone down the back of my neck.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com