Re: [TowerTalk] SECOND FLOOR SHACK

To: "'Jim Brown'" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"'TOWERTALK'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SECOND FLOOR SHACK
From: "Mike K6BR" <noddie@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:23:28 -0700
You are dead right Jim, follow peoples advice and use the MFJ artificial
ground, it does work and that's a fact.

Mike

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 16:56:31 -0700, JC Smith wrote:

>Sorry, guys, but I must disagree.  While a shack ground is NOT a sink for
>noise, it IS far more than lightning protection.  It is supposed to provide
>a low-impedance path for stray RF that inadvertently runs around in the
>shack.

"Supposed" is exactly that -- only in your imagination. There is NOTHING
magical about the earth that causes a connection to it to reduce "stray RF"
in your shack. You can disagree, but the stuff you are quoting is
essentially
an old wives tale.

Compute (or measure, if you can) the complex impedance of that "ground" wire

from one end to the other at the frequency you are transmitting. If you
didn't blow the math, you will find that it is NOT a low impedance path to
earth. And if it does carry RF, it will radiate that RF (and receive
whatever
RF is around it).

Jim Brown K9YC

It has removed 57 spam emails to date.