[TowerTalk] Copper Strapping Clamps

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Copper Strapping Clamps
From: DGB <dwibos@netnet.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 06:20:19 -0500
I'm in the process of putting up a tower and grounding system for
lightning. I purchased a good quantity of copper flashing at a scrap
dealer and trimmed down to 1-1/2" straps.

After considerable research on the 'net the only clamps I've found for
fixing the runs to copper ground rods are the ones made by polyphaser
available for around $14 ea.  I've several of these connections to make
so the cost would be prohibitive. Haven't been able to locate any
Cadweld products for copper strapping to evaluate the cost of that
process. What homebrew cost-effective methods have others used for a
good long-lasting contact? My soil is sand.

Also in the those long runs interconnecting everything, such as the
house power entry point, the shack power entry point, and the ground
window for the shack, should I be installing ground rods every sixteen feet?

I've had wires up here at this location in northeast WI for 15 years
with never a hit, but I just know when I get this tower up, it will find me!

thanks ... Dwight W9YQ