[TowerTalk] High tension lines

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] High tension lines
From: Craig Clark <jcclark@wildblue.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:30:29 -0400
With all due respect, there has not been a correlation of cancer to
high tension lines. In 1979, Brodeur wrote "The Zapping of America"
where he tried to correlate cancers to proximity to high tension
lines and electrical substations. He followed up with several other
long screeds in the New Yorker Magazine on the same subject. All were
long on emotion but short on science.

At Ham Radio Magazine, we supported quite a bit of research on RF
radiation and cancers working with some of the best in the field of
radio and  epidemiology. As I remember, this was the area Overbeck
was most concerned about due to his activity on the VHF/UHF
bands.  What we found was that non-ionizing radiation was unlikely to
cause any form of cancer. This is what you have around power lines
and HF amateur radio stations.

I know nothing about the medical reasons of susceptibility to
cancer.  I do know that Brodeur was manipulating facts to prove his point.

Finally, I personally would not locate my ham station anywhere near a
high tension line.

Good luck!

73, Craig Clark, K1QX

RADIOWARE AND RADIO BOOKSTORE