Re: [TowerTalk] HV lines

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HV lines
From: kd4e <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 08:35:30 +0800
 > sabrams@nycap.rr.com wrote:
> As an employee of a state regulatory agency, I have been to transmission
> line construction sites and have seen that the very heavy machinery used
> seriously compacts the ground around and between the towers (when setting
> out the cables).  The soil is never the same again.  The compaction hinders
> root growth and stunts the crops.  73  Saul  K2XA

They have also been known to spray very heavily
to prevent the return of growth.

Not sure what chemicals they used in years past.

Some of the best grass and weeds grow under the
powerlines near us.  Some amazing green things that
get well over 6 feet tall and have a licorice-like
smell.  That area benefits from no shade and no water
except from rain, so I am not observing a deleterious
effect at all.

The only area that grows better is over the septic
tank!  :-)

--

Thanks! & 73,
doc, KD4E