Re: [TowerTalk] Crankup Basics

To: "JT Croteau" <jt.w6fo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crankup Basics
From: Dino Darling <dino@k6rix.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:32:21 -0700
OK, back to your original question...

>Could someone give me a primer on how crankup towers typically work?

They work really well.  You crank the handle and they go up.  If  you
crank the handle in the other direction, they go down (some have
auto-brakes while others need a lever to be flipped).  Sorry, no
pictures of any heights towers.  If you can't figure out how it works
after 3 minutes of looking at it, cut it apart and recycle it for
scrap!  There is a ton of money in all that aluminum!

You didn't ask this question either so I'm hesitant to include an
answer for obvious reasons, but you don't want to climb a tower that
is cranked up!  If it must be cranked up, even slightly (for rotor
access, etc), be sure to PHYSICALLY block the sections and take the
weight off of the cables to prevent the tower from coming down.  A
local here in Southern CA almost lost his hand due to an
accident.  As it is, he is permanently disabled!  Oh, and put the
mast in while the tower is on the ground!  It's easier than trying to
stab it in from the top, but you should already know this from your
25G days (which is a great tower BTW).

If you want to know the DETAIL difference between a single cable
tower or a multi-cable tower, or what positive pull down is, etc, ask
your question again but this time be a bit more specific.  As far as
the "primer" goes, I think it has been covered.

At 10:20 AM 8/16/2006, JT Croteau wrote:

>To answer your questions, the tower I am restoring is a free-standing
>55' with a wind load rating of 17 sq. ft. @ 90 MPH.  I plan on
>installing a 2-ele Quad and a linear loaded 40M rotatable dipole.
>
>However, none of this pertains to my initial question.  I have tower
>experience using Rohn 25G so I know all the basic essentials involved,
>what I don't have experience with is crankup towers.
>
>I merely added basic info about my project to add further insight to
>what I am doing.
>
>--
>  JT Croteau - W6FO - Canton, GA

Dino - K6RIX