Re: [TowerTalk] Beam Suggestions

To: <k8jdc@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Beam Suggestions
From: <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 12:04:54 -0500
If you know you're going to want a 3-el SteppIR, why not buy the 2-el
SteppIR with plans to upgrade later?

Buying the 2-el and then the 3-el upgrade kit later is going to cost more,
but not as much as what you'd lose on the sale of the smaller antenna
when it did come time to upgrade.

>From what I see, the 2-el SteppIR certainly won't perform any worse than
the other shorties on your list.

73, kelly
ve4xt

> From: Dino Darling <dino@k6rix.com>
> Date: 2006/08/18 Fri AM 10:23:48 CDT
> To: k8jdc@sbcglobal.net
> CC: towertalk@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Beam Suggestions
>
> If you want a SteppIr, get the SteppIr!  It's pay me now or pay me later
> and the SteppIr is a great antenna so far!
>
> The only other two choices for a small beam would be the following
> (IMHO)
>
> 1.  M2 KT34M2
> http://www.m2inc.com/products/kt/kt34/kt34m2.html
>
> 2.  Force 12 C-3SS (or any other C-3 based on your requirements)
> http://force12inc.com/F12-specs-c-r1-0.htm
>
> I'd run from the older designs of the Mosley and especially CushCrap!
>
> I lean towards M2 because of their OUTSTANDING customer service.
But,
> if you get a Force 12 that is complete, out of the box, then it too is
> a real performer!  With the Force 12, you MUST double check your parts
> list!!
>
> Again, these are MY opinions based on my own personal experience
and
> talking with those much more knowledgeable than I!!!  Your mileage
may
> vary!
>

> Dino  -  K6RIX
> dino@k6rix.com

my first beam and I'm looking for suggestions.  Due to the possibility that I
might be moving in the next year, I'm considering putting a 9-ft Glen Martin
roof tower on my current house (roof peak at about 17 feet).  I've been
researching smallish beams for this installation, but I don't have
experience with any of them and am looking for any inputs from the
towertalkers.

> >  This is certainly not an all-inclusive list, but I've done some reading
on:
> >      - Cushcraft MA5B
> >      - Force 12 C-3SS
> >      - Mosley (Mini-33, TA-33 Jr, MP-33)
> >      - Butternut HF5B
> >
> >      I've also looked into two larger antennas, the Tennadyne T-6 and a
3L Steppir.  (Long story, but I've been hoping to put up a Steppir after a
move to a new property, so I considered just getting a Steppir now and not
using the minibeam.)  For various reasons, I probably won't pursue the
larger antenna in my current situation, but I thought I would at least
mention it.