Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking Dissimilar Antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking Dissimilar Antennas
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 06:57:48 -0500
Ed, stacking these two antennas does not present insurmountable phasing
issues.  You could model it and see.  It might have unexpected results
because of element spacing, etc, but nothing the model wouldn't show you in
advance of actually going through with it.

If the issue is splitting the power between the two, I could understand
someone saying it was a headache for a number of factors, but an Array
Solutions Stackmaster (commercially available product) would eliminate all
those headaches and make the system quite straightforward to use, i.e. a
switch that allows you to select TOP, BOTTOM, or BOTH and you're done (equal
length coaxes to each antenna).

Many hams stack two dissimilar tribanders these days with excellent results.

Take-off angle is one of the main reasons people do this.  Having different
choices available at the flip of a switch will really open your eyes.  You
don't have to know exactly which antenna is best for which distant DX
station (and it could be different on two different days), all you have to
know is "is he louder on the top antenna, the bottom antenna, or both of
them together?"

Get a Stackmaster and you will LOVE it.

Mark, N5OT