Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking Dissimilar Antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking Dissimilar Antennas
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 00:17:54 -0500
I need to correct a couple of statement I made about HFTA.  I said HFTA
always gives 3 dB gain for any antenna stacking distance.  That is not
correct. It gives 3 dB gain for very closely stacked antennas, less than
about 0.5 wavelengths.  For other wider spacings it seems to function
correctly. Gains for closely spaced stacks, can be manually corrected
with data from NEC, but you will discover that anything less than about
0.4 wavelengths yields so little gain as to not be worth the effort of
stacking. N6BV recommends stacking no less than 0.5 wavelength for HFTA
because of the gain errors produced.

Also the gain error is because of the math models used for the stacking,
not the ray tracing algorithm.

Jerry, K4SAV