[TowerTalk] Radials

To: "T talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Radials
From: "Dan Hearn" <dhearn@air-pipe.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 07:36:39 -0700
Doug, I have built 2 phased arrays using lengthened Hytowers. The radials
are soldered to a ring of nr. 10 wire around the base. The feed line is
LDF5-50 hardline. A short piece of bare nr 10 is soldered to the center
conductor and another piece is soldered to the shield. I made a cover for
the end of the line with a short piece of PVC(3 inches long or so) with a
cap on it. The center conductor wire comes thru a small hole in the center
of the cap. The shield wire connection goes down the side of the hardline
and out the bottom of the PVC pipe and is soldered to the ground radial
ring. The center wire goes to the vertical. I have used this system for
about 15 years and no problem with it. You save the cost of a coax
connector, the cost of the plates sold for this purpose and the messing with
screws, lugs, etc.
73, Dan, N5AR