[TowerTalk] 2006 Top Ten Chutzpah Awards - the top two

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 2006 Top Ten Chutzpah Awards - the top two
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:08:54 -0400
Both New Product announcements from September QST -

p.41 Isotron 40/20 meter antenna that looks like a cross between a 1960's UHF
antenna, a birdhouse, a ceramic coil from a BC-375 and a collection of leftover
flashing material.   Really, guys, are we supposed to believe this works?

p. 32 "Broadband Manpack Antenna and Mast from B&W" -- claiming less than 2:1
SWR 1.6-60 MHz.  Picture looks like two christmas tree light reels, a lot of
hookup wire, two three foot pieces of tubing and a humongous balun/dummy load.
Rated for 20 watts.  $545 for the antenna alone, or $1190 (!) for the antenna
and mast kit.

The serious point of all this -- who the heck at ARRL is looking at these
things before publication?  Whatever happened to the ARRL's holy attitude about
not advertising things that make no sense?  Oh, I forgot - new product
announcements are FREE.  But how many new hams will be duped?

I thought the August QST was pretty good, but this ... horrific!

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
Full details on 3165 contest stations
at http://www.pvrc.org/WCSD/WCSDsearch.htm