Re: [TowerTalk] CONCRETE CURING

To: NØATH <n0ath@charter.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CONCRETE CURING
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 06:51:46 -0400
It seems to me that this discussion is missing one important distinction -
guyed tower vs self-supporting.  The latter puts much more strain on the base
and any embedded foundation pieces, while the load from a guyed tower is almost
all vertical compression.  One former denizen of this reflector had several
fairly tall Rohn 25 towers simply footed in gravel.  Our old ham club had a
short one (20')mounted on top of a building in DC with the base simply guyed
across the roof to several vent pipes , to keep it from popping out (yes, we
WERE nuts), considering the liability implications, but this was the 70's)

73, Pete N4ZR