Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna eating tree

To: aa6e@ewing.homedns.org
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna eating tree
From: Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 <faunt@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 15:41:12 -0400 (EDT)
There was an article in QST a few years back about this.  And screw
eyes, if attended often enough that they're not overgrown, are much
healthier than rope over a crotch.

It looks like September 1989, page 26, with followups in February and
March 1990.

If you can get a rope over a crotch, then you can probably find
someone to climb up there, using that rope as a safety or climbing
line, to install the screweye.

73, doug

   Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 14:44:50 -0400
   From: Martin AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>

   Jim Jarvis wrote:
   > Unlike Charlie Brown's kite eating tree, the antenna
   > eating pinoak yielded to a 2 ton come-along.  The windom
   > remains are down.  Validates my 'soft-technology' approach,
   > using two small bowlines, tied in the rope and wire, in lieu of
   > end-insulators.
   >
   > It pulled through the crotch of the branch at 70', with something
   > less than 300 lbs persuasion.  Had there been an insulator, it'd be
   > there permanently.

   My tree guy frowns when he sees antenna ropes through tree crotches.  It
   can damage the tree.  He would like to have it reseated every so often
   so the tree can heal.  Much better, I think, to install a screw eye and
   use that for the antenna connection, allowing suitable strain reliefs.

   I wonder if there's any useful "ham thinking" about tree health.