[TowerTalk] Camper antenna

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Camper antenna
From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 20:07:17 -0700
Hi All

When camping, I have an antenna that I take along to do some hamming while
out in the toolies.

What I have is a center fed antenna, about 100 feet long, using 300 ohm
ribbon to feed it.  Sometimes, like this weekend, I can only stretch out
about 40 feet of this antenna between the available trees.

What I usually do is just wind up a coil, in the middle of each leg, of
whatever wire I have that is too long and is excess.

Would it be better just to use the antenna with no coils, even if it is
shorter, or use it with the excess wound up in a couple of coils.

I would assume that the coils would narrow the bandwidth down, but with the
tuner, what the hey.  I use it from 80 to 20 (or 15 or 10 if they are open).

It must work pretty good as I worked VK9NS on 20 with it Saturday night.  73

Tom W7WHY