Re: [TowerTalk] Stainless steel wool source?

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stainless steel wool source?
From: "KDM" <KDM@ctcn.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 01:11:45 -0400
This is purely "anecdotal evidence" of why you may want to consider using
steel wool vs plastic scrubbers of fiberglass in pvc entry pipes.

Decades ago, my Elmer told me to use steel wool since it could act as an RF
choke if you had a lightning strike.  I've been doing it ever since.

I've had three direct hits on my towers over the past 30 years.  The latest
was last Monday.

Due to great protection, everything survived except my weather station on
the tower.  Current jumped from the tower to the sensor lines.  The entire
line was vaporized until it reached the steel wool-stuffed pvc entry pipe.
At this point, the steel wool became a welded blob, but the line survived
and didn't burn inside the house.  There was, however, enough current to
blow out the wall wart that powered the sensors.

I'll continue to use the steel wool when I replace the sensors this week.

Ken Moak, WA2JQW/8
Urbana, OH