Re: [TowerTalk] antenna switches

To: "Gregg Seidl" <K9KL@centurytel.net>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antenna switches
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:47:47 -0700
At 07:51 AM 9/13/2006, Gregg Seidl wrote:
>This might be a bit off topic but it is the best place I know to
>ask,so here it goes.I have a decent station set up out here nothing
>world class but I work what I hear and I can hear a lot.4
>towers,lots of metal,fairly quiet blah blah blah.I have a good
>freind who lives in the city who is also a ham.We have set-up a
>remote station here for him to use via the internet,I do have DSL
>out here.We were going to put up a multiband dipole for him but the
>fear of both being on the same band,which could easily happen,made
>us decide to just put switches to do an A/B deal.I have several
>manual swith boxes here.He gets whatever antenna is online.Sometimes
>I forget to switch the A/B switches.We are looking for a
>computer/locally controled 12 position antenna switch,plus an A/B
>switch.Does any one know if these are available.

You can use something like an Ameritron remote switch (various
configurations), and then drive it with a relay driver of some
sort.  I just built a bunch of RS232-8 relay interfaces from a $50
Velleman kit.  The relatively low current contacts in the Velleman
switch the current to the relays in an RCS-8V.  There are a fair
number of remote control relay boards out there, with interfaces all
the way from pushbuttons, to serial, to usb, to ethernet, although
some are fairly pricey, especially if you need a lot of contacts.

Be aware that designing long life relay controls is non-trivial, in
terms of transient suppression, etc.  Doing it right is not just a
matter of a "anti kickback diode" across the coil, although that's an
ok solution, if you've got enough margin in your design.