Re: [TowerTalk] Tower mast..

To: "'Merlin-7 KI4ILB'" <merlin-7@sc.rr.com>,<TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower mast..
From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:15:58 -0700
Hi Joe,

If you really want to run a mast all the way to the bottom of the tower I'd
go find a used thrust bearing (the kind that's designed to support both
axial and radial loads) at the junkyard for it to set on and use a rotor
shelf, which you can use later when you get a real rotor, to secure it to
the bottom of the tower.  That steel ball sounds a little hokey to me.
You'll need to design some sort of decent brake to keep it from wrapping up
your coax.  Why not just buy a decent rotor?  Can't add too much to the cost
of the project when you figure in all that extended mast stuff.

73 - JC, K0HPS