Re: [TowerTalk] Alfa Spid rotator

To: "Bill Turner" <dezrat@copper.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Alfa Spid rotator
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 19:31:25 -0700
The problem comes about when you use semi-automatic mode.
Semi-automatic mode (also known as point and shoot) allows
you to use an arrow key to quickly select the heading you want
and then release the arrow key and the antenna rotates to
that heading.  This way you don't have to hold down the
arrow key and watch the rotator move, and then release it
when you get to the heading you want.  If the antenna is pointed
at 5 degrees and semi-automatic is used to select 355 degrees,
the antenna will rotate the long way around (right) moving a total of
350 degrees instead of moving left 10 degrees.  It is true as
you indicate that you can change to manual mode and then use
the left arrow key to move the antenna directly to 355, assuming
overtravel is enabled.  Similarly, automatic mode, which is used
with computer control, has the same problem.

I should also note that even if you have the antenna south centered,
the semi-automatic and automatic modes are programmed to avoid the
overtravel region.  Thus the overtravel feature really only works
in manual mode.  It is fairly clear IMHO that whoever wrote the
firmware for the controller had only a superficial understanding
of rotators.

Rick N6RK