Re: [TowerTalk] homebrew low voltage surge suppressors?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] homebrew low voltage surge suppressors?
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 21:43:33 -0500
Thanks for the post Red.  It is good information.  I don't have any
argument with anything you said.

In suppressors intended for VHF these inductors can be made to work
because the inductor can be much smaller. However when applied to
operation at 160 meters there is a problem getting the inductor into
saturation before the suppressor fires.

The delay in these suppressors is in nanoseconds when the rate of change
(dv/dt) is around 20,000 to 30,000 v/us. Driving a lightning pulse into
50 ohms will have a dv/dt in this range. (They will be slower for slower
ramp rates.) To keep the suppressor from firing (like ICE says it
operates), the inductor has to saturate before it has about 1000 volts
on it (or whatever the suppressor rating is, which could be less). With
a lightning pulse waveform, that happens at an inductor current of about
1 amp. For a 44 uH inductor, the current produced by 1500 watts of RF on
160 meters and an SWR of 1.5 to 1, is about 1 amp RMS (1.4 amps peak).
So if you made it saturate at 1 amp, it wouldn't work for high power. If
the inductor saturates at a higher current, the suppressor takes the
full load.

My original post calculating inductor current was in error. Inductor
current should be insignificantly small for lightning waveforms.

Jerry, K4SAV