To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 46, Issue 39
From: Robin Midgett <K4IDC@Comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:50:51 -0500
Hi Doug,
If you already have the Rohn 25G and no other options, then erring on
the cautious side demands reasonable actions to insure no limb or
whole tree can fall on the guy cables. Suddenly loosing an upper guy
cable usually results in a catastrophic failure of the entire system.
Also, don't overlook the possibility of large animals "scratching an
itch" on your tower or guy cables...do you have moose on the loose in
your area of NH?
Alternately, consider a self supporting tower if you have that
option...this greatly reduces the chances of a limb or tree trunk
taking the whole works down. A telescopic self supporting arrangement
would offer further protection, assuming it is retracted to the
minimum height when not in use. Plus, it can be practically out of
sight in that mode...even more pleasing to your spouse. The E-Z Way
towers lend themselves to this nicely, plus they tilt over for
relatively easy access to the antenna & rotator. They show up from
time to time on the used market.
Given the price of the antenna and potentially replacing it, the
tower and doing all your work over due to a mishap, it's hard to turn
away from the safer installation.

At 05:08 PM 10/10/2006, you wrote:
>Message: 7
>Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:02:38 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Doug Hansel <mustbhe@yahoo.com>
>Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower in the woods
>To: towertalk@contesting.com
>
>Sorry for this slightly weird first post, but I have an XYL that is
>decidedly "tower unfriendly" and has told me that I can put one up
>as long as she doesn't see it, which basically means she doesn't
>want it strapped to the house and would really prefer to not trip
>over guy wires while strolling in our yard.  I respect that, and
>luckily, I have a 4 acre plot, so I'm thinking I can make this work.

>My question is to any of you who have successfully erected "stealth
>towers" in the woods... how much clearance did you give yourself
>from the trees?  how much from the guys... etc? any thoughts and
>words of wisdom? Obviously clearing the forest out with a chainsaw
>is not really a good option either. I realize this question can only
>solicit opinions and recommendations, not hard and fast answers, but
>I'm just seeking advice.
>
>I'll be putting up 60 feet of Rohn 25G with a 3 element steppir wich
>I have already aquired....
>
>Thanks for any advice,
>Doug AA1UI

Thanks,