Re: [TowerTalk] silicon sealant

To: K7LXC@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com, k2mme@juno.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] silicon sealant
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 09:57:47 -0700
At 07:55 AM 10/22/2006, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 10/21/2006 4:32:53 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
>towertalk-request@contesting.com writes:
>
> >  I have used various forms of silicon sealants for years and  it seems
>they all have the same problem.  They seem to be made for  single uses.
>By that I mean they harden in the tube. I'm sure the  manufactures love
>this.  I'm not talking  about cartridges but  tubes for small uses. Is
>there a specific product that I can use , recap  and use again and again
>in small amounts?
>

>I'll assume you're using silicon sealants for  antenna and feedline
>connections. RTV (room temperature vulcanizing)  materials are
>mostly the wrong things
>to use. The problem is that they outgas  acetic acid while they cure.

Not all RTV outgasses acetic acid.  Depends on which kind and what
chemistry is being used for the cure process.
The acetoxy chemistries outgass the acetic acid.  I believe the
methoxy chemistries are non-corrosive.

RTV as a product name is trademarked. Other companies make the same
kind of products and they're not called RTV, so sometimes searching
on more generic terms is useful: Silicone potting compound or
silicone sealant.  You'll also see RTV used as a descriptive term.

Most of the "good" electrical potting silicones are a two part, with
very long shelf life for the two parts.  They use a different variety
of curing methods. Some are sold in those nifty dual syringes like
they use for epoxy adhesives, but I don't have my catalog handy to
look them up.

There's also Urethane potting compounds, as well as Silicone.

I used to buy stuff from Silpak (http://www.silpak.com/) they have a
wide variety of stuff that they sell in various quantities and
dispensing methods.  They could probably tell you what's practical
and what's not.

I'd check DigiKey or Mouser catalogs as a start.  Or go to the GE website