Re: [TowerTalk] Sinking ground rods

To: WW5L@gte.net, "Bill Coleman" <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sinking ground rods
From: "Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181" <ooe@odessaoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 08:10:03 -0700
Back in my days as a linesman in the Airforce we had to drive them into
coral in Hawaii.  VERY hard stuff.

The easy way to do it was with a jack hammer.  One guy would stand on the
hood of a truck and walk the rod in till a guy on the ground could reach up
and take over.  It does mess up the end of the rod but we'd just grind it
smooth or cut off an inch or so once we got it in.

You'd have to be careful about mushrooming the end so much that you couldn't
get it out of the jackhammer though.  Eventually we took an old worn out
jackhammer bit and welded a really thick pipe type deal on the end.  This
kept the end of the rod in good shape, as the bit took all of the abuse.

Hope this helps,
Marlon
64.146.146.12 (net meeting)
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless