[TowerTalk] Restoring Beam Antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Restoring Beam Antennas
From: "Dr M J DiGirolamo" <DrD@2020.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 22:34:15 -0500
Dear Colleagues,

        I have acquired a HyGain TH-11DX, 11 element log perodic HF antenna as
well as two KLM 12 element 2M beams which I plan to run in a vertical stack.
All of these antennas are in good shape, no evidence of rust (stainless hardware
used), bending or abuse that meets the eye.  The only ageing problem evident is
that of oxidation that comes with age.

        I would like to do whatever restoration is required so that I can
realize the maximum performance possible.  Hence, I am looking for answers from
the experts who have been down the path I'm following.

        I've started using 00 Steel Wool with a little paint thinner on it to
remove the oxidation of each element.  In addition to removing oxidation, this
seems to nearly restore the original luster to the aluminum.  First question.
Some of the most periperal elements are only 3/8" in diameter.  Is there a best
way to clean the inside of the female portion of the fit?  Anyone used round
stainless steel brushes, etc?  Where do you get them?

        I guess the only importance of doing the boom is for appearance?  No
current flows there as far as I know? Comments?

        Mosley products are horribly expensive.  I ordered their Penetrox at
over $10.00/ounce!  Their "Weather Guard" (like Krylon but you brush it on) is
sold in cans at just under $20.00/can!  To do the HyGain beam I was told I need
two of each of these. With shipping, etc, it cost me about $70.00.  I don't mind
spending the mulah but don't want to waste it either.

        I'd appreciate any and all comments on the value of reworking the beams
to their original luster (conductivity) and the use of Penetrox and Weather
Guard.  Any other comments on beam restoration would be greatly appreciated.

73,

Mike DiGirolamo, W4XN
Charlottesville, VA