[TowerTalk] Homebrew Tower for 500lbs load help needed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Homebrew Tower for 500lbs load help needed
From: "John Barrett" <ke5crp@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 20:49:13 -0600
I'm looking to design a freestanding tower that can support up to 500lbs of
load at 50 feet with a wind loading of approx 40 sqft and 100 mph
survivability. Guy wires are not an option for the location we must use. I have
a few problems to solve and am not finding much in the way of references online
to work out all the details.

1> what kind of pipe/tubing to use (diameter/thickness) -- assuming that the
"mast" will be a single run of pipe (welded and reinforced with smaller tube
inside at the joints if needed).. This has to be able to support the 500lbs
dead weight load in the tilt-down position if a tiltover is recommended.
Stepping the pipe size down as we get higher is ok (unless a carraige setup is
recommended)

2> footing recomendations -- how wide a hole and how deep ?

3> should I look at a tilt and crank-up design to reduce the stresses when
raising/lowering the tower ?? or perhaps a "carraige" design where the load is
pulled up the tower after it is erect ??

This is obviousy overkill for an antenna tower :) and while there will be
antennas on it., it will mostly be used to support a wind turbine. (that is
until I build the 2nd one to support a stacked beam :)

now I just need the references or some advice to work out the rest :)