Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew Tower

To: "Phil Camera" <kb9cry@comcast.net>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew Tower
From: "John Barrett" <ke5crp@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 09:48:42 -0600
From: "Phil Camera" <kb9cry@comcast.net>
To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2006 8:10 AM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Homebrew Tower

> now I just need the references or some advice to work out the rest :)
>
> That's easy:
>
> https://www.utsystem.edu/DBAPPS/AcadDegree/acaddisplay.asp
>

> If this is too expensive, then call PiRod towers and buy a pre-engineered
> one.

Ya know -- I got my degree in computer science, and I do plenty of small
scale engineering on my own -- milling machines, hydraulics, electric power
systems, radio circuits, etc, and I've managed to teach myself all that
without having to go to school. In the last 3 days I've learned one heck of
a lot about tower engineering, so much so that I'm close to confident of
being able to design everything except the concrete footing. Now why in the
WORLD would I want to go spend years at school, or 1000s of dollars on a
pre-engineered tower  when I can do the numbers work myself, then hand it
over to a quaified engineer for a final check ?? (which I have to do anyway
for construction approval) I dont need to learn enough to design a
skyscraper, suspension bridge or 1000ft radio tower, just enough to design a
small tower.

If you dont want to help, thats fine, but I can do without the snide
remarks. BTW, are you an engineer ?? Do you work for PiRod or one of their
distibutors ?? Is this some sort of conspiracy to keep information out of
the hands of the people ?? Are you worried about your job security if this
info gets out to the public and it is discovered that its really not all
that difficult to deal with the math ?? <Evil Grin>

ok -- this is getting to be too much fun -- but its happened to me on every
other mailing list where I've asked "deep" questions like this, someone who
trys to tell me "stay ignorant and pay to get what you want done", or "pay
to learn it in school", so I'm not suprised... In any case, I have no
interest in paying for knowledge at the rates colleges wish to charge. I may
end up going and buying the relevant book, but I will certainly NOT pay go
to class to learn the info. Its out there someplace free or reasonably cheap
and I will find it !!

In any case, your mention of PiRod towers did help out -- they have a design
for a 13x0.25 tower that will support 1335 lbs and handle 44sqft of wind
load in 100mph winds -- which means a 12.75x0.5 pole can EASILY handle the
load !! plus they tell how long the anchor bolts need to be -- 9ft is no big
deal !!

I think that just solved the last of my design issues and I didnt have to
PAY to get what I needed !! (Still didnt learn the math, and I would like to
know HOW to figure all this out)