Re: [TowerTalk] re Soldering PL259s

To: k5uj@hotmail.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re Soldering PL259s
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 13:00:31 -0800
Oh Boy....lots of different good ways to solder a PL 259...

I've done them many ways, and encourage all to do them in
the way that works for you... That said, I use an ancient,  American Beauty
100 watt
iron with 3/8" dia solid copper tip, chiseled to a 4 side pyramid that just
fits the holes.
($5.00 at ham flea markets; $50.00 or more at stores)
in the PL 259.  My bet is that the stored heat energy in the massive tip and
heating coil housings pour heat at a much higher rate than the rated 100
continuous  watts of the iron.. Just as a power
supply dunps huge watts from its filter caps, when seeing a low impedance
load.

By the way, In my opinion,  big irons seem outrageously priced...is it
justifiable?  Lots of precious metals, or ceramics?  Or just supply and
demand, and big margins?

I don't tin the shield anymore as when I did, the near perfect, round,
thinly  tinned shield ran along the inside of the barrel, not touching it.
When the hot iron was applied, it first heated the complete  connector
barrel, but the heat did not immediately heat the cold, tinned braid.

In most cases, with good coax, the untinned  shield could be dressed in such
a way that it was thick, and pressed up against the inside of the holes.
Extra caution,  (incl not  nicking the shield when cutting away the jacket)
easily prevents pieces of shield  wire, from being scored, fracturing,
drifting,  and causing center to shield shorts.  The untinned shield
presents a lot less mass to heat, that  accepts the applied solder through
the holes.
The Iron tip, chiseled properly,  is firmly applied straight down,  into the
center of each hole.  You can see a tiny gap into the hole and shield wire
below through each of the chiseled planes.

If you tin the iron tip liberally, the fresh, molten solder makes a  perfect
contact seal around the hole, and very quickly flows down into the untinned
shield wires. In most cases, from room temp to melt/flow  the solder, takes
only 5 seconds or less,  per hole with a big iron.   It only has to heat a
very small mass of shield wires, compared to touching a fully tinned shield,
which sinks the point contact heat away rapidly, and begins to cook the
dielectric.   You dont necessarily need to hit/fill all four holes.   I use
a wet rag, hanging over the cox,  once I have soldered the barrel, (each
time for each hole) draped over the rear of the shell, causing steam to
rapidly cool the connector.

73, DX, de Pat AA6EG aa6eg@hotmail.com;
Skype: Sparky599
26 Lines of code: $500.00