Re: [TowerTalk] vertical vs horizontal--a different take

To: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] vertical vs horizontal--a different take
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 06:41:47 -0800 (PST)
Jim Jarvis wrote:
> Is it because that noise seems louder on our vertical antennas?
> Our UNBALANCED vertical antennas?  If you read w1his's white paper
> on common mode chokes (yccc.com), you'll find that he's reduced the
> received noise levels substantially by decoupling the feedline.
> Perhaps I should have said our POORLY DECOUPLED UNBALANCED vertical
> antennas?

My vertical is feed by open wire line through a balun transformer.
It is very well decoupled from the feedline.  Not to mention it is
fed against a massive ground screen.  It is extremely noisy on
receive on 160 and 80.  Great for transmitting though.

Power line noise propagates by ground wave.  Verticals make good
ground wave antennas.  Dipoles don't.  Whether the mechanism is
polarization or something else doesn't matter much in a practical
sense.

Rick N6RK