Re: [TowerTalk] vertical vs horizontal--a different take

To: Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] vertical vs horizontal--a different take
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 12:20:08 -0500
Jim, this subject came up in another context several weeks ago.  Someone
said that the horizontal component of the noise signal seems to be
attenuated much more (by the ground?) than the vertical component.  I
don't believe any explanation was given for the difference, if my memory
serves.

When I had a 40M vertical with four elevated radials and a 40M EDZ,
there was no doubt that the vertical was much noisier than the EDZ.  Of
course, the vertical is omni directional while the zepp was
bidirectional.  Nevertheless, the difference was dramatic even at a
relatively electrically quiet QTH.

73, Joe
K2XX