Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Crimp tools/Dies/reasonable cost

To: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Crimp tools/Dies/reasonable cost
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 03:42:46 -0500
I've been looking at this but so far haven't found the die set for LMR-600.

I have 1000 feet of LMR-600 on the way.  (thanks to those who pointed out
the discount places for the *brand name* stuff) along with connectors. I
just need the crimping tool and dies.

> Paladin makes numerous Crimping tools, including a basic ratcheting crimp
> frame, to which are attached appropriate Dies for the various sizes of
> crimping done, includiing all varieties of coax, both center pin and
> Shields, ring terminals, molex pins, etc....Just select the dies needed
> for
> your application. The shield and center pins are hex crimped.
> The cost is considerablly less, for both the crimp tool frame and the
> appropriiate  crimp die than prices  mentioned below.
>
> See
> http://www.lashen.com/vendors/Paladin/Die_sets.asp
>
> for a supplier of a large selection of dies for the crimper frame.
>
> Then again, a well equipped Avionics Tech will have both the large and
> smaller Daniels MS crimper frames,  with a variety of turrets, pin
> insertion and extraction tools, crimper calibration tools, etc.
> Total coverage of all encountered connectors in Aviation can require
> upwards
> of $1K in tooling, though much less, if searches of Ebay are done.

When you are only tying to keep a couple of old ones in the air the tools
aren't nearly as expensive<:-))
The Deb was built in 59 and still has less than 4000 TT. Unfortunately I've
not been in the air for a month. Next time out I guess I'll spend a couple
of hours practicing.  The G-III isn't complete yet.  I should be out closing
the last elevator section, but I spent the evening making the panic trip to
town for a new sump pump.  I also discovered the secondary check valve in
the 1 1/2" line out doesn't work. (Man that water was cold).  Fortunately
the new pump had the same size fittings in the same places so it was more a
matter of screwing out the old pipe and screwing it back into the new pump,
putting the pump in place, hooking up the outlet, and powering up. Now as I
sit here typing to the sound of numerous fans running in the basement (along
with one big dehumidifier) I'm glad it picked early in the evening to fail
while the stores were still open. Now were are getting rain which is
expected to be heavy at times for the next two days.

Sounds like good antenna weather.

BTW if that 737 is the one I'm thinking of there is a very good movie (in
Spanish with English subs in high definition)  about the plane and airline.
There were a lot more problems than just the connector (If its the one I'm
thinking about)  but it does point out how little the difference between a
good connection/crimp and a poor one.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com (Use return address from home page)