[TowerTalk] Coax Crimp tools/Dies/reasonable cost

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax Crimp tools/Dies/reasonable cost
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 07:10:08 -0800

Paladin makes numerous Crimping tools, including a basic ratcheting crimp
frame, to which are attached appropriate Dies for the various sizes of
crimping done, includiing all varieties of coax, both center pin and
Shields, ring terminals, molex pins, etc....Just select the dies needed for
your application. The shield and center pins are hex crimped.
The cost is considerablly less, for both the crimp tool frame and the
appropriiate  crimp die than prices  mentioned below.

See
http://www.lashen.com/vendors/Paladin/Die_sets.asp

for a supplier of a large selection of dies for the crimper frame.

Then again, a well equipped Avionics Tech will have both the large and
smaller Daniels MS crimper frames,  with a variety of turrets, pin
insertion and extraction tools, crimper calibration tools, etc.
Total coverage of all encountered connectors in Aviation can require upwards
of $1K in tooling, though much less, if searches of Ebay are done.

Crimp pin photos  in detail:
http://workmanship.nasa.gov/lib/insp/2%20books/links/sections/202%20Crimp%20Pins%20&%20Sockets.html
NASA spec photos of Coax terminations here:
http://workmanship.nasa.gov/lib/insp/2%20books/frameset.html

Some coax center pins are crimped by a Daniels Brand/type of MS crimper,
which is a rather expensive item.   The Daniels type of crimper  specified
for large coax (RG-213 type)  center pins, has  precision 4 perpendicular
dies that crimp pins by compressing the pin walls on the wire, to a
precision depth, forming a gas tight connection.  Numerous adjustable
settings have to be made to the Daniels tool, to  properly crimp, taking
into account wire guage, and  pin type.  Errors in settings can be
catastrophic.

See:  http://www.dmctools.com/store/catalog.asp?CATEGORY_ID=3476

A NOVA program, documenting  a NTSB investigation of a 737 aircraft that
crashed in Central/South America, showed the NTSB guys (literally in the
Jungle crash site)  discovering a broken wire to a HSI indicator that could
have been a key failure that contributed in a big way to the crash.  The
stranded wire, possibly 22 guage, looked to have been cut at the connector
pin, due to inproper crimping settings (too deep, breaking the wire) on the
crimping tool....a difference of maybe  one click of a depth adjustment.
This discovery in the field shown on the Nova program,  was scary and
sobering  to watch.

See:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COPA_Flight_201

73, DX, de Pat AA6EG aa6eg@hotmail.com;
Skype: Sparky599